Chongqing chicken also known as Laziji which means chili chicken cubes. As the name shows this dish is famous in Chongqing province. The interesting thing about this dish is that there are more chili peppers than the chicken and we need to find the chicken cubes among peppers.
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut it into cubes
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3-4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1 scallion, cut it into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons starch
- 1 tablespoon apple juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- In a large bowl add all the marinade ingredients along with the chicken cubes. Mix well and set aside
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Fry the chicken cubes in batches until golden brown. Transfer out the cubes to the paper towel so that the excess oil is absorbed by the towel
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok. Add pepper corns, dry chili followed by garlic, ginger and scallion. Stir fry on low heat until fragrant.
- Now add chicken cubes and stir fry on medium heat until chicken cubes turn dark brown in color (it will take 3-4 min)
- Turn off the heat. Season with sesame oil, add sugar and sprinkle sesame seeds.