This classic French sauce is a combination of bechamel sauce and a mixture of gruyere cheese and parmesan cheese.
Its a perfect compliment for seafood, baked chicken or steamed vegetables. A topping of this cheese sauce enhance the flavor of everyday food and turn it to something extraordinary.
- 3 TBS Butter
- 3 TBS Flour
- 1.5 cups Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 1/4 cup (grated) Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup (grated) Parmesan cheese
- Add butter in a sauce pan and place it on stove over low heat.
- When the butter is fully melted quickly add flour, without allowing butter to change its colour.
- Mix well until it forms a paste. Cook for 1-2 min over low heat and make sure that paste does not change its colour.
- Now add milk with constant stirring. To avoid lumps gradually add milk and stir with a wooden spoon until we have a smooth sauce.
- Bring it to a simmer point over medium heat, then reduce the heat and cook gently for 5 min so that the flour does not give its crude taste.
- Season it with salt, black pepper and white pepper. Whisk in parmesan and gruyere cheese. Before turning off the heat make sure that the cheese is fully melted and is incorporated with the sauce. Top steamed vegetables with this sauce and serve hot.