Panzanella is a classic Italian salad and is a wonderful combination of toasted bread and ripe tomatoes, dressed in olive oil and topped with basil leaves. Its full of juicy tomatoes so serve this salad immediately and do not refrigerate it because the tomatoes will lose their texture.
- 1 small Italian bread
- 1 cup torn basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup black olives, pitted
- 2 cucumber, unpeeled and cut into chunks
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Remove the crusts from bread slices and discard them. Now cut the bread into half inch cubes.
- Coat bread pieces with cooking spray or oil and place the cubes in baking dish. Bake for 10 min or until golden brown.
- Add basil leaves, onion, tomatoes, olives, cucumber in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Now combine apple cider, sugar, salt, black pepper in another bowl and pour over tomato mixture.
- Add toasted bread cubes and mix well. Garnish with few more basil leaves and serve immediately at room temperature.