Coming up with a new idea for a kid’s meal is a tough task but we do know how kids love potatoes. I did too when i was one. I would go gaga over any dish that had potato as its main ingredient. Kids these days have more options to eat than we had and this creates more problems. When you know you can either have this or that, its easy but when you have loads of things to choose from, you become a confused kid of modern times. Kids feel confused and mums feel exhausted coming up with options to cook or buy. Home cooked meals are a healthier alternative to the junk food our kids are addicted to.
This particular recipe of Potato Smilies that i am about to share here cannot take place of a meal but can curb that hunger pangs that come in between meals especially for those kids who are active and sporty. This simple and quick to make recipe will surely be loved by kids and adults at tea time.
Potato smilies are not only extremely easy to make but taste great too. Kids would love to have these for a light snack. You can also keep them chilled in the freezer for later use. These smilies can be shallow fried or just toasted on non stick pan, as they don’t need much cooking.
- 1.5 cup Boiled, mashed potatoes
- 0.5 tsp Oregano Powder
- a pinch or two Salt to taste
- 1/3 tsp Black pepper
- 3 tbsp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- Coming up with a new idea for a kid’s meal is a tough task. This particular recipe cannot take place of a meal but can curb that hunger pangs that come in between meals especially for those kids who are active and sporty. This simple and quick to make recipe will surely be loved by kids and adults at tea time. First of all, mix all the ingredients and put it up for chilling in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Take the dough out and make small balls. Spread a little cornflour on a flat surface and put these balls on it. Gently press each ball so that it takes the desired form. You can make eyes with a straw and mouth with a small spoon. Once you are done with all, you can fry these at medium to high heat as the potatoes are already cooked and don’t need much cooking. You can also freeze these uncooked smilies and keep them for future use as well. If you think you can make better smilies with a different set of equipment, do share 🙂 We always welcome fresh new ideas to brighten up our minds.
Barbecue Chicken Macaroni would make a yummy lunch for kids and a perfect evening snack.
Macaroni noodles itself are tasteless but cooked with barbecue chicken /tikka adds an irresistible spicy flavor to this dish. Ketchup is used in this recipe, and so kids would love it.
- 300 gm chicken (boiled and shredded)
- 1 packet (450 gm) macaroni
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes, grated
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons tikka masla
- 2 carrots, cut into cubes
- 1 capsicum, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 5-6 olives olives
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- As required red pepper
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
Bring water to boil, add 1 TBS oil and a tsp salt and cook macaroni in it until cooked and tender. Drain out water, keep them under running water for 5 seconds while stirring them. Keep them aside.
Boil peas, carrot and capsicum and keep them aside.
(While performing step 1 and 2) Heat 1/2 cup oil in a pan and fry onion in it till golden brown.
When onion is done, add yogurt, boiled chicken, salt, red peppers in it and fry over low flame until yogurt is cooked.
Then add grated tomatoes with veges and tikka masala and cook over medium flame till tomato paste become thick and done.
Then add ketchup (adjust the quantity of ketchup according to your liking) and macaroni to the pan, mix all very well and cook over very low flame for 5 minutes.
Dish it out, garnish with olives if you like, serve hot. Enjoy yummy chicken macaroni with your kids.
How to make Nutella Chocolate Cupcake
Chocolates are everyone’s favorites, especially kids’. These are often shared on occasions of happiness and joy like birthdays, anniversaries and parties. As they say, sharing increases love and sharing chocolates can actually make others fall more in love with you. Its a perfect gift for couples in love or for kids to celebrate their little milestones etc. Cupcakes come in a lot of varieties. Try this yummy chocolate cupcake made from the yummy nutella chocolate spread! This easy recipe can be made while engaging your little ones as nothing is cooked on fire and it requires little parental help. Hope you enjoy making these at home. Do share your experience of making these yummy cupcakes with us.
- 2 1/2 cup nutella
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup nutella
- 250 gm cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Whisk some eggs and add 1.5 cup nutella to it. You will need some care in beating this as nutella does not mix with ease. Add flour and baking powder and mix for a minute or less till the whiteness of the flour completely diminishes.
Do not use an electric beater as you don’t want your cupcakes to be hard. Use a hand whisk instead. This is just like you prepare batter for brownies, do not overdo the beating.
Glaze a cupcake tray or line up cupcake paper bowls and set the oven to preheat at 175 deg C or 350 deg F. Bake for fifteen minutes or a little less. You will see the tops gently cracking up to show they’re ready. Perform a toothpick test and if it comes out clean, your done.
- Mix cream cheese with confectioner’s sugar and then add nutella spread to the mix. Add vanilla essence and mix all of the ingredients properly using a spatula.Next, add this mixture to the icing bag or use a spatula to layer the frosting on top of your cupcakes while they are still hot. The frostings are a bit difficult to spread and this is exactly why the frosting is layered on hot cakes. The hotness of the cakes makes it a bit easier for you to spread out the layer evenly. Let it refrigerate for some time afterwards and serve chilled. Enjoy!
A very delicious recipe of rolls filled with noodles. It’s a perfect combination of crispy and yummy taste, once a bite taken you will enjoy crispy covering with yummy filling.
These noodle rolls will fulfill kids as well as adults craving for noodles and will make a yummy kids lunch box.
- 2 packets Chicken flavor noodles
- 400 gms chicken (boiled)
- 1 cup Cabbage grated
- 2 normal sized onion grated
- 2 Noodle sachet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 packet roll patti
- 1 cup Oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
Cook noodle in boiling water till cooked and tender. Keep them aside and let them cool.
Now mix cooked noodles in a big bowl with grated cabbage and onion, boiled and shredded chicken, salt, black pepper and noodle sachet. Mix all very well. (Adjust salt and black pepper quantity according to your taste)
Take a single slice from roll patti, fill in the noodle filling, turn the slice inward from both the left and right side, start rolling the slice from your side, brush some egg from beated eggs over the other side and continue rolling till it is completely rolled. (Egg will help in its sealing)
Repeat this procedure till all rolls are done.
Heat oil in a frying pan, and deep fry rolls on medium flame. (You can freeze rolls for later use, to freeze, wrap them separately in food wrap and freeze)
Black forest cake is an English name of a German Dessert. It’s a chocolate cake having two or more layers, with whip cream and cherries in between each layer, and then the cake is decorated with additional cream, cherries and chocolate shavings.
It’s a perfect wedding or birthday treat as the kids would love its chocolaty look and of course it’s healthy with the cherries. Original recipe is made with black cherries.
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 12 TBS Butter
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 4 medium Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 6 TBS Cocoa powder
- 5 ounces Chocolate finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups Water
Filling and Garnishing:
- 1 cup Whip cream
- Whip cream half cup in piping bag, refrigerate it.
- 8 to 10 Fresh Cherries
- 1 cup Chopped cherries
- 2 cups Grated chocolate
- Sugar syrup: Mix 3/4 cup of sugar with 1 1/2 cups of water. Then add 2 TBS lemon juice, mix and chill till use.
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C or 160 F. Grease the cake pan with butter and set aside.
- Heat water till it starts boiling, remove from the heat, add chocolate and cocoa powder and mix well until all mixed and smooth. Set aside and let it cool for 15 mins.
- Mix together the flour and baking soda and sift at least three times. This will help your cake sponge to rise full and spongy.
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter until softened, then add sugar and beat till mixed and fluffy.
- Now add eggs one by one, while beating between each addition letting each incorporate fully before adding the next one. Add vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add a little of the flour mixture and beat until flour is incorporated. Then add the chocolate mixture and beat, repeat the same process, alternating between flour and chocolate mixture until all the ingredients are incorporated with smooth outcome.
- Pour the cake batter in a greased pan and bake in oven till its golden brown. Insert a skewer into the cake, if it comes moistened, give more time to cake in oven. Keep on checking, your cake is ready when the skewer comes out dry.
- Cool the cake on wire racks for about 45 minutes.
- Beat the whip cream till stiff peaks and refrigerate it for later use.
- With a big knife, carefully cut the cake horizontally into two parts and keep them aside.
- Working on with one layer, prick the cake layer from few places with a skewer. Drizzle 5 to 6 TBS sugar syrup over the cake layer covering the entire cake. Do not drizzle too much syrup as the cake might get soggy,
- Using a spatula, spread as much whip cream, over the cake, as you want leaving a gap of about an inch from the edge of the cake. Spread some chopped cherries over the cream layer.
- Place the other layer of cake over this decorated layer and press a little. Repeat the same process with this layer, adding syrup, then a layer of cream and then chopped cherries. Spread the cream evenly with a spatula covering the side of the cake all around.
- Refrigerate cake for about 30 minutes letting the cream to set and firm up.
- At the time of serving, take out the cake and decorate with cream in piping bag, making small circles all over the edge. Place a cherry in each of these circles, to make it more yummy.
- For more tempting look, especially for kids and chocolate lovers, spread a layer of grated chocolate over the cake covering the top of the cake with dark chocolate and hence the name black forest.
Cover all around the sides of cake with the grated chocolate too, to give it all chocolaty look. Refrigerate and serve.
Sugar syrup is a substitute for cherries syrup. it’s best if you use cherries syrup.
Egg in a pepper is an easy but healthy breakfast for your kids that not only tastes good but it looks pretty too. Its a perfect way to start your kids day with these beautiful rings of bell pepper.
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (red, green or yellow)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons crushed cheese (optional)
Cut the pepper into 1/2 inch wide rings. Remove the seeds.
In frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the rings in pan and stir for 1-2 min
Crack an egg slowly into the center of each ring. With the help of spatula carefully press down on rings so that the egg would not spread out.
Cook on low flame for 3-4 min until whites are set. Season with salt and black pepper.
Remove eggs from pan, top with cheese if desired and serve.
Rice Krispies Treats
These super easy crispy rice cereal treats with marshmallow miniature serves as a perfect snack for your kids. This weekend try these for your kids.
- 4 tablespoons+1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 bag (40 large) Marshmallows
- 6 cups Crisp Rice Cereal
Lightly grease 13 by 9 inch pan with melted butter.
In a large pan melt butter on low heat.
When butter has melted add marshmallows or miniature marshmallows. Cook with continuous stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
Add rice cereal, stir until well combined.
Using spatula, transfer mixture into greased pan and press in evenly.
Allow it to cool down and then cut into 2 inch squares.
Place Crispy Rice Cereal Treat into the serving plate and enjoy at the snacks time. Enjoy!
This moist and delicious Galaxy Chocolate Cake is perfect for any celebration. Its simple and easy to make at home. The galaxy chocolate icing gives your kids a mouthwatering treat.
- 6 oz or 180 g Caster Sugar
- 3 Egg large
- 5 oz or 150 g Flour (double shifted)
- 3 oz or 75 g Galaxy Drinking Chocolate
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 tbsp Hot Water ( not too much hot)
- 7 oz or 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 5 oz or 150 g Unsalted Butter
- 8 oz or 225 g Icing Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Chocolate Sauce
- 8 oz or 225 g Galaxy Chocolate (cut into pieces)
- 125ml Cream
- Pre-heat oven at 180 C/ 350 F. Grease a round deep 8″ loose bottom pan.
- Take a large bowl, add unsalted butter. Beat with an electric beater until creamy. Add caster sugar and beat again for one minute.
- Add eggs one by one and mix with spatula. When all the eggs are well mixed, beat again for 2 minutes.
- In another bowl mix dry ingredients ( flour, galaxy drinking chocolate and baking powder).
- Add half of the dry mixture in eggs mixture. Beat for a minute. Now add the remaining of the dry mixture along with the water. Beat for another 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture is fluffy.
- Pour cake mixture in a greased pan. Place the pan in a pre-heated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. Take two pans where one will fit into the other. Add 2-3 cups of water in big pan and place a metal ring in the middle of the bigger pan. Place it over medium heat
- When water starts boiling place the small pan into the big pan. Add pieces of galaxy chocolate and cream into the small pan. Stir continuously until the chocolate and cream become smooth. Remove both the pans from heat.
- Now add unsalted butter in chocolate and cream mixture, stir with spatula until smooth. Add icing sugar and mix well until creamy and smooth.
- Place the baked cake in a plate.
- Using a clean spatula spread the icing all over the top and sides of the cake .Add some chocolate sauce on the icing. Garnish with walnuts.
- Transfer Galaxy Chocolate Cake to a serving plate and serve with afternoon tea. Enjoy!
When your kids don’t eat fruits, make them desserts like this and they wont skip a bite.
- 2 Apples finely grated
- one cup Flour
- half cup Sugar
- 1 Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- one small piece Cinnamon
- Mix all these ingredients together and knead it with hand. Roll it on the kitchen table.
- Take one cup water in a pan and put in half cup sugar, a bit of crushed cinnamon and heat it for a few minutes. When the sugar syrup is of proper thickness, allow it to cool.
- Spread apple jam on the flattened dough and then pour the syrup mixture on top. Bake it in the 425 deg F for thirty minutes.
This yummy cheese cake recipe requires no baking and no special skill to make. Enjoy making this delicious recipe with your kids as the entire procedure is child friendly and doesn’t demand too much adult supervision.
- 250 gms Digestive Biscuits
- 100 gms Butter
- 4 ouncce Cream Cheese softened
- 7 ounce Sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 10 ounce Cherry pie filling
- Pour digestive biscuits in a plastic bag and crush them to make their crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese with condensed milk and beat with an electric beater. Later add lemon juice and vanilla essence and beat till all mixed and smooth.
- Take a serving bowl, bottom the bowl with a layer of biscuits crumbs. Add melted butter over the biscuits layer and mix the butter with biscuits, spread biscuits layer evenly at the bottom and press down with the back of the spoon. Refrigerate for 10 minutes giving it time to set firm.
- Then pour the cream cheese mixture over the biscuits layer, spread evenly, make sure there will be no air bubbles. Chill for five hours. Do not freeze.
At the time of serving pour cherry pie layer at the top and serve. NOTE: instead of cherry pie layer, mango pulp can also be used. For berries lovers, strawberry sauce is the best option.
To make strawberry sauce, take 1/2 cup strawberries with 1/4 cup water and 2 tbsp sugar and cook one medium heat till the mixture starts getting thicker. You can also blend it to smooth out the lumpy texture.